By Lisa M. Rabey
Systems & Web Librarian
Did you know William Shakespeare coined the phrases, “too much of a good thing” or “kill with kindness”? Or that he invented over 3,000 words? How about that Shakespeare’s plays have been translated into more than 80 languages including Klingon? Even better, many movies and TV shows we love such as 10 Things I hate About You (The Taming of the Shrew), She’s the Man (Twelfth Night), Strange Brew (Hamlet), The Lion King (Hamlet), Sons of Anarchy (Hamlet), and Scotland, Pa (Macbeth) are either modern interpretations or heavily influenced by the Bard’s work?
Yep, it’s all (mostly) true!
Today is Shakespeare’s 450th birthday! To celebrate this momentous occassion, below are some ways you can celebrate:
- GRCC library has hundreds of books, movies, and other materials on and about Shakespeare available for you to read and watch
- Including the Kill Shakespeare graphic novel series
- The five best insults ever dished out by the Bard
- Learn to insult like the Bard
- Listen to Benedict Cumberbatch read Shakespeare’s Seven Ages of Man
- Here are 45 Everyday Phrases That Shakespeare Coined
- You can read all of Shakespeare’s plays online, supplied by the [Continue Reading]Originally published at: Lisa @ GRCC