In the mid-late ’90s, I ran a mailing list, “chaingang,” whose sole purpose was to forward links and bits and bobs to interested parties. This is the 21st century version of that mailing list, compiled weekly. [No chaingang for July 11.]
- Jane Austen manuscript fetches $1.6M USD at auction. Wow. Yay Jane!
- To conceive or not to conceive: that is the Regency question Highly entertaining AND informative look at birth control pre-modern life.
- Dillards’s Fires Guy For Eating Two Hotdogs – Um, yeah.
- But Mr Darcy, shouldn’t we be taking precautions? – Various links have been going around about a new “study” done by a psychologist who argues that all romantic fiction is ethically corrupt for failing to use safe-sex and that women who read that claptrap are missing out on the bigger picture of life.
- A Tight-Knit Community: Why Facebook can’t match Ravelry, the social network for knitters. – Yes, of COURSE I am on Ravelry.
- Superhero Garden Gnome Mod – Turn any Gnome into a superhero! I can totally see Anne getting into this one.
- Oak Park, MI woman may get 93 days in jail for planting a front yard garden – Sometimes you just have to shake your head and say, “It’s Detroit, man.”
- Auction fever over Jane Austen’s manuscript of unfinished novel – I’m curious to see how this plays out since there was a recent incident of her work coming up to auction and failing to make the minimum bid.
- What Kind Of ‘I Don’t Own A TV’ People Do You Have In Your Life? – Tongue in cheek, yes, but I know far too many variations of these types.