During the Renaissance, cabinet of curiosities came into fashion as a collection of objects that would often defy classification. As a precursor to the modern museum, the cabinet referred to room(s), not actual furniture, of things that piqued the owners interest and would be collected and displayed in an aesthetically pleasing manner. Collectioun of Cunnynge Curioustes is my 21st century interpretation of that idea.
- American Horror Story: Coven, The Newsroom, Homeland, Once Upon A Time in Wonderland
As the fall season shows have started to slow down and I’ve gotten my chance to dig into a few of the new offerings, it is now time to stop watching a lot of the crap sitting on my DVR. The above shows, some new and some old, are ones that for some reason, aren’t doing it for me anymore. I was sad about Once Upon A Time in Wonderland being so schlocky and syrupy, as I had really wanted to get into that show. I’m over The Newsroom like woah, and Homeland? Well, I used to love this show but the constant pushing of the teen angst as the main plot line and how they use Carrie’s bipolar as a crutch explanation for everything just wore me out. TheHusband still watches, but he seems to vacillate between liking or disliking it every week, which indicates to me the show runners have run out of steam. I’m also having mixed feelings about Sleepy Hollow and Marvel’s Agent’s of S.H.I.E.L.D., but I’m hoping soon the shows will get their act together or else I’m done.
Weekly watching: Dracula, Project Runway All-Stars, Breathless, Atlantis, Masters of Sex, Elementary, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Sleepy Hollow, Survivor, Downton Abbey, Boardwalk Empire, Doc Martin, QI, Peaky Blinders, Sons of Anarchy, The Vampire Diaries
- Here Be Dragons: The Evolution of Sea Monsters on Medieval Maps
- “What if TV’s The Golden Girls were actually living in old-folks witness protection, with decades of super secret government assassinations behind them?” BEST COMIC EVER!
- A street map made up from the titles of over 600 books from the history of English Literature (and a few favourites from further afield)
- Swedish cinemas take aim at gender bias with Bechdel test rating
- Passive-Agressive Library unMarketing
- Franken Berry, the Beloved Halloween Cereal, Was Once Medically Found to Cause Pink Poop
- Someone is selling Ian Curtis’, the dead singer of Joy Division, kitchen table on eBay
- Things That Will Never Happen to You, From the NY Times ‘Vows’ Column and the Vows column they are ripping on
What have you read/watched/listened to this week?
This day in Lisa-Universe in: